- This event has passed.
EMU, New Economic Governance & Social Justice Research Seminar
26 January @ 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
This interdisciplinary research seminar addresses whether the legal frame of Economic and Monetary Union is in irreconcilable tension with the EU’s renewed social agenda, also questioning whether the recently proclaimed European Pillar of Social Rights is sufficient to revive the EU’s original socio-economic model in the face of ongoing global economic distortions.
Speakers include Prof Ulla Neergaard (Professor of Law at University of Copenhagen), , Dr Bart Vanhercke (OSE – European Social Observatory) and Prof Fabian Amtenbrink (Professor of Law, University of Rotterdam and convenor of EURO-CEFG).
To register, please click here.
1pm-1.30pm Welcome lunch
1.30pm-1.40pm Introduction by Prof. Dagmar Schiek, Queen’s University Belfast
1.40pm-2.40pm Session 1
- The impact of eurozone reforms on the EU social dimension – Prof. Ulla Neergaard, University of Copenhagen
- Macroeconomic supervision and social policy concerns in the EU: A view from Portugal – Martinho Lucas Pires, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
- Discussant: Prof. Dagmar Schiek, Queen’s University Belfast
2.40pm-3.25pm Session 2
- Socialising the EMU through the European Semester – Dr. Bart Vanhercke, OSE-European Social Observatory
- Discussant: Dr. Sara Clavero, Queen’s University Belfast
3.25pm-4.25pm Session 3
- New Economic Governance and the EMU – A critical legal analysis – Prof. Fabian Amtenbrink, Erasmus University of Rotterdam
- Rethinking policy-making in the EMU: Institutional social responsibility and the Fiscal Reform Act – Matteo Laruffa, LUISS Guido Carli University (Rome)
- Discussant: Dr. Dieter Pesendorfer, Queen’s University Belfast
4.25pm-4.30 pm Close